We welcome and encourage all visitors to take photographs at the Humboldt Botanical Garden. All photographers are required to accept and follow all HBG Photography Policy General Rules & Etiquette in order to protect the interests of the garden and all of its visitors. Please take a moment to read the General Rules & Etiquette.
General Rules & Etiquette
- Be courteous and considerate to other Garden visitors.
- If a photo session, photographers must register two weeks in advance for approval by the HBG office (707) 442-5139.
- Photographers and photograph equipment must stay on pathways and the main lawn area. • Photographers are not permitted in Garden flower beds.
- Climbing or mounting photography equipment in trees and/or on Garden structures is not permitted.
- Photographers are not to block pathways or visitor access to any area of the Garden. • Photographs taken and sold without written authorization, will be subject to a $150 fee and/or photographer will be required to pay royalties.
- HBG is not responsible for loss, stolen or damaged photography and/or filming equipment.
- HBG is not responsible for injury or death to any persons associated with photography and filming sessions at the Garden.
- Photographer’s vehicles are not allowed inside the Garden gates.
- HBG reserves the right, at its discretion, to withhold permission to photograph on its premises, to refuse admittance for photography, and/or to change its photography rules and etiquette at any time without advance notice.
Amateur Photography Policy
An amateur photographer is one who undertakes photography for a hobby without receiving compensation. Amateur photographers are welcome to take photographs of the garden for their own non-commercial use.
- Members and visitors are permitted to take photographs and videos for private, non-commercial use and are subject to HBG Photography Rules & Etiquette. >
Photography Workshops or Classes
Photography Workshops or Classes Photography classes and/or workshops are permitted at the Garden. Artists or nature photographers seeking to bring a class for a field trip to the Garden, or photo clubs seeking to visit must register at least two weeks in advance with the HBG office.
- Classes must be approved by the HBG office in advance of class.
- If classes/workshops are taught by a professional photographer, the instructor must have a HBG ‘Professional Photographer’ Membership at time of class.
- HBG may restrict classes to certain places or times, depending on the Gardens’ schedule and the size of the group.
- Photographers should observe the scheduled time for the classroom/workshop session and allow enough time for setup and location.
Wedding & Portrait Photography Policy
All photographic sessions, including posed portraiture, must be done by professional/commercial photographers. The photographer must have a $150 HBG Photographer Membership at time of photo session. HBG reserves the right to use ‘photographs’ from any photography session for its own marketing and publicity.
Professional/Commercial Photography Policy
A Professional/Commercial photographer is a photographer who: (1) earns income or payment for taking photographs or teaching classes/workshops; (2) sells, markets, distributes, circulates or publishes the images photographed for commercial purposes or gain. This includes, but is not limited to, advertising, films, promotion materials.
- Professional/Commercial Photographers must have a current $150 HBG Photographer Membership at the time of the approved photography session.
- Professional/Commercial Photography will not be allowed in any part of the garden or its facilities without prior approval by HBG.
- Photograph sessions must be approved in writing at least 1 week prior to the proposed photographic session.
- Any sales of images of the Garden must be disclosed to HBG for approval at least one week in advance of the shoot.
- HBG reserves the right to refuse any project.
- Photographers should observe the scheduled time for their session and allow enough time for setup and location.
- If photography is to be used to promote the Garden (a Garden advertisement) Photographer must obtain HBG approval of photography before publication.